The New Zealand High Commission based in Fiji, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade acts in the world to build a safer, more prosperous and more sustainable future for New Zealanders.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) is seeking a qualified and experienced individual for the position of Senior Development Advisor – Climate Change based in Suva, Fiji. The incumbent will represent the New Zealand Government to the highest standards of professional excellence providing key policy advice and managing aid programme activities. The incumbent will lead and manage all accountable aspects of the Climate Change portfolio within the Fiji bilateral development programme, competently support New Zealand’s Pacific Regional Climate Change activities and the department’s response to disasters in Fiji.
The role reports to the First Secretary, Development (Bilateral) in Suva and will be offered under a three (3) year contract term.
- Contribute to strategy, narrative development and activity identification.
- Confidently develop policy advice and analysis on CC issues impacting Fiji and the region.
- Manage and coordinating aid investments to support adaptation to and mitigation against Climate Change.
- Provide guidance and advice on project implementation, enhance outcomes of existing investments.
- Build and sustain relationships with key Ministerial and Government entities, private sector organizations, CROP agencies, UN, development banks and development partners to strengthen results of development and aid.
- Represent New Zealand effectively at programme discussions, bilateral, regional and multilateral meetings, negotiations and participating in public diplomacy activities.
- Contribute to New Zealand’s humanitarian response to natural disasters and other emergencies in Fiji and the Pacific Region.
Qualifications and Experience
The suitable candidate must have the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Relevant tertiary qualification(s) relating to climate change, economics, international development, project management or public sector administration. Post-graduate qualifications would be an advantage.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience working with government, multilateral development banks (or the multilateral system), or development focused organizations in a senior or technical capacity, preferably in the Pacific.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of climate change and international development practice and capable to achieve practical results in a fluid environment.
- Contract management experience.
- A strong strategic thinker, with the ability to identify linkages between different work streams.
- Established experience working effectively with a diverse group of people across various cultures and backgrounds.
- High level of confidence, able to work with relevant internal and external stakeholders involved with the climate change portfolio.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Has sound knowledge of the Pacific development priorities and challenges.
- Good ITC skills, ability to understand and confidently utilize information management systems.
- Well-developed planning and organisations skills, ability to prioritise tasks, work autonomously with demonstrable use of sound judgement.
- Possess strong leadership capabilities, with ability to see issues and trends and provide comprehensive solutions and remedies, and influence the team to achieve programme objectives.
- Must possess a current and clean driver’s license, be able to live and work in Fiji and successfully meet the NZMFAT’s pre-employment clearances.
The remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful candidate commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants must apply online at www.pacificpeople.com, applications must include a cover letter, current curriculum vitae with contact details for three professional referees.
For further clarifications, please contact our Human Capital Consultant, Ms. Bhawika Naicker on (679) 777 11 66. Applications closes on Friday 15th October 2021.
ECONSULT PACIFIC provides this vacancy announcement to those specialists on our database who have provided us with an email address and who have voluntarily subscribed. Unless otherwise indicated, ECO-CONSULT PACIFIC is not and will not be involved in the selection process, nor in any of the negotiations for the position, and will not claim any charges from the specialists.
The vacancies are obtained from regional and international organizations, magazines, newspapers and colleagues. Although we will do our best to relate to you the details on the positions as they have been provided to us, it is
possible that some information may be incorrect or outdated. ECO-CONSULT PACIFIC advises those interested in a vacancy to contact the advertising organization directly for specific details on the position. ECO-CONSULT
PACIFIC will not accept any liability for incorrect information.
Related Jobs (1)
Vehicle Mechanic (Mechanical, Panel Works, Spray Painting) on August 3, 2022 Full Time