With a healthy pipeline of future work and an excellent team culture, it is an exciting time to join the McConnell Dowell Family.
McConnell Dowell has operated across the Pacific Islands for over 30 years. We are a global company, but our expertise is firmly local. We understand and respect the Pacific Islands cultures we work in and place a strong focus on interacting positively through supporting local communities and villages via skills training, employment opportunities, and establishing supplier and subcontractor relationships.
About the Role
The Project Manager – Chanceries will be involved in the finalization of key Early Contractor involvement activities across three independent sites – Port Moresby, Suva and Rarotonga. These activities will include involvement in Design, Constructability Assessments, Estimating and Procurement.
Following completion of the ECI, the Project Manager – Chanceries will be responsible for overseeing the coordination of all the construction activities on the Port Moresby project. Key outcomes include efficient management of Quality, Safety & Environment, Compliance, People Management, Procurement, Reporting, Financial Control, Commercial, and relationship management with the Client.
- Organise, coordinate and direct construction activities in accordance with work schedules and specifications.
- Provide technical, commercial and functional direction related to all aspects of contracting, and material management, including the administration of procurement, subcontracts, purchase orders, expediting, traffic and logistics, warehousing, supplier quality surveillance and supplier performance assessment.
- Ensure that all staff adheres to the company’s quality, safety and environmental policies and procedures and that acceptable working methods and practices are implemented.
- Control and motivate the workforce and manage the employee disciplinary process as and when necessary
- Ensure timely notification to both the Project Manager of the Project and Client of all instructions or occurrences which might give rise to a claim for an extension of time for completion or variation to the works.
- Select subcontractors and suppliers based on an evaluation of their ability to meet the specified requirements including those for safety, quality and environmental and ensure compliance with the same.
What you will need:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Engineering (Structural, Civil), Construction Management or Project Management.
- A minimum of ten years engineering experience in the construction industry with a demonstrated success in delivering to monetary targets, timeframes, planning and logistics management.
- Strong leadership and communication abilities.
- Competent in understanding and promoting HS&E imperatives and MMS procedures.
- Competent in negotiation and client relationship building accompanied with a sound understanding of contract management and cost containment.
- Demonstrate flexibility and resilience in dealing with complex issues and deploys sound problem solving methodology.
- Competent in use of all in-house software.
Don’t tick all the boxes but you’re still excited about this opportunity? We’re dedicated to building a diverse workplace, so we also look at applicants with great transferable skills from similar industries.
If that’s you, we encourage you to still apply as you may just be the right candidate for this role or one of our other opportunities.
McConnell Dowell – Creative Construction
Our purpose is Providing a Better Life. We do that through delivering projects that connect, support and sustain communities, and through providing career opportunities that challenge, reward and grow our people.
From remote major resources and energy projects to city-shaping transport and water infrastructure, we have constructed thousands of high-quality, complex projects for our customers and communities over more than 60 years, in Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and Southeast Asia.
Why join us?
The work you’ll do will have a tangible positive impact on people’s lives, including yours. The diversity of our projects, roles and locations means greater development opportunities. We invest in our people to set and reach personal and professional goals and we have some of the best mentoring minds in the business to help you do that. Because when you grow, we all grow.
McConnell Dowell actively seeks and celebrates diversity, inclusion, and individuality. In a culture low on ego and high on support, we encourage everyone to make an impact. We’re big enough to take on community-shaping projects, but agile enough for you to have an influence on how we do things.
So, join us, be you, and help us create better together. Apply now!
We are an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, abilities, sexual orientation, gender identities & cultures including Aboriginal, and Torres Strait Islanders are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note all successful applicants must hold valid work rights for New Zealand and/or Pacific Islands and pass a satisfactory pre-employment medical which includes drug and alcohol checks and COVID vaccination status.
This role is being sourced through McConnell Dowell directly and not accepting applications via external recruitment agencies.