Our client, Volunteer Service Abroad – Te Tūao Tāwāhi (VSA) is New Zealand’s largest and most experienced volunteering agency working within international development. VSA sends New Zealanders and people with strong connections to Aotearoa on overseas assignments to share their skills, experience, and knowledge directly with local people and communities to make real, sustainable change.
VSA is seeking a qualified and experienced individual for the position of Programmes Manager based in Suva, Fiji. The role is responsible for leading VSA’s development programme by identifying local opportunities for VSA’s New Zealand volunteers to come and share their skills with local organisations in Fiji. The goal is to strengthen local capacity to address specific needs and goals, allowing communities to pursue their own development.
The Programme Manager will be required to deliver a high-quality development programme. This involves shaping the country strategy and driving the development of new volunteer assignments with local and regional partner organisations in line with VSA’s thematic priorities. This position will need to build strong connections with important stakeholders, including partner organisations, volunteers and the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Fiji post.
The Programmes Manager will also be required to monitor volunteers’ personal and professional well-being and security. They play a key role in resolving significant challenges or incidents, including mediating in conflicts or interpersonal issues between volunteers and partner organizations.
Summary of the Key Accountabilities:
- Supervise in-country program staff to support volunteers and the program effectively.
- Lead in-country strategic, operational, and planning processes, establishing and maintaining administrative practices and systems.
- Oversee the logistical and pastoral needs of VSA’s volunteers.
- Monitor and analyze the progress of the development program, operational plans, country strategy, and volunteer assignments in collaboration with VSA’s New Zealand staff for planning, evaluation, and learning.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal Programmes Manager will be a robust, resilient and flexible self-starter who has the following skills, experience and knowledge:
- Demonstrated experience at an intermediate to senior level (around 5 years) in a development agency or similar field.
- A degree in development studies or a related discipline, or practical experience relevant to this role.
- Strong understanding of international development principles and key political, social, cultural, and economic issues in Fiji.
- Proven expertise in strategic program management, coordinating development programs (preferably with volunteers), covering development, planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Well-developed skills in administration, financial/budget management, and organization.
VSA are seeking someone who is adventurous, who enjoys a varied role and is excited by the opportunity to support locally identified development goals and aspirations.
A copy of the complete Job Description can be found here: https://www.pacificpeople.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/JD-Programmes-Manager.pdf
An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful candidate commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants must apply online at www.pacificpeople.com Applications must include a cover letter, current curriculum vitae with contact details of three professional referees.
For further clarifications please contact Hannah Hicks-Maravuakula on (679) 3313229 or 7771100 or email: [email protected]
Applications close on Sunday 17 December 2023.
Only successful shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview