Finance and Administration Assistant
- Suva-based position (Fiji)
- Attractive local package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) invites applications for the position of Finance and Administration Assistant, located at its regional office in Suva, Fiji.
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Human Rights and Social Development Division has a vision for just, equitable and resilient Pacific societies and it aims to achieve this by advancing human rights, equality and social inclusion for all Pacific people, grounded in cultural values and principles.The work of this Division includes work previously undertaken by the Regional Rights Resource Team (RRRT) in the area of human rights and the Social Development Programme (SDP) in the areas of gender equality and social inclusion, culture and youth development.
In line with its vision, the work of the Division will encompass the following focal areas:
- Objective 1: Governance for human rights and social development: Strengthen inclusive, transparent and active governance for human rights and social development.
- Objective 2: Gender equality and social inclusion: Mobilise, empower and build conditions for gender equality, equity and social inclusion in society and development.
- Objective 3: Culture: Promote, preserve and protect positive expressions of culture.
- Objective 4: Social innovation and learning: Enhance knowledge, learning and innovative solutions to accelerate impact on human development priorities.
The Finance and Administration Assistant will provide finance, accounting and administration support to HRSD projects in areas such as preparing regular financial reports in accordance with the donor and corporate requirements; assisting in budget and audit preparations; assist with events and logistics for all activities; and provide overall Administration and accounting support to the division.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Project Accounting Administration
- Project Finance Support
- Logistics and Travel Support for meetings/workshops/events
- Country Project Support
- Programme Administration Support
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided online.
Key selection criteria
- Diploma in Finance, Accounting or Administration
Knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in project accounting and financial reporting in a reputable organization
- Use of modern management and information systems and accounting software
- Experience in travel and logistics
- Good working knowledge of project financial reporting
- Analytical ability and advanced computer literacy, especially with Microsoft office applications
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work under pressure with a team-oriented approach to meet deadlines and achieve team goals
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 31 December 2022
Remuneration – This is a full-time position at Band 6 in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 1,846-2,308 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 18 July 2021 – 11:45pm Fiji time
Applicants must apply online at: http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
- Describe an example of when you were responsible for organising a large event. How did you organise and schedule the tasks? Was the event successful? If so, how did you know? Is there anything that you would have done differently?
- Please describe your background in financial administration (including reporting) and procurement (including facilitation of procurement processes) for donor-funded projects.
- Please describe your experience with preparing budgets for workshops or events?
ECONSULT PACIFIC provides this vacancy announcement to those specialists on our database who have provided us with an email address and who have voluntarily subscribed. Unless otherwise indicated, ECO-CONSULT PACIFIC is not and will not be involved in the selection process, nor in any of the negotiations for the position, and will not claim any charges from the specialists.
The vacancies are obtained from regional and international organizations, magazines, newspapers and colleagues. Although we will do our best to relate to you the details on the positions as they have been provided to us, it is
possible that some information may be incorrect or outdated. ECO-CONSULT PACIFIC advises those interested in a vacancy to contact the advertising organization directly for specific details on the position. ECO-CONSULT
PACIFIC will not accept any liability for incorrect information.
Although we have many email recipients for ‘Pacific Vacancies’, your address will remain confidential. If you do not want to receive the vacancy announcements anymore, please send a blank email to:
Of course, you can always join again later, by sending a blank email message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Related Jobs (7)
URGENTLY NEEDED – Accounts Receivables (Re-Advertised) on August 4, 2022 Full Time