We at PNG Air pride ourselves as the leading domestic airline operating over 26 ports across the length and breadth of Papua New Guinea as the Airline of Choice. Operating the largest fleet of ATR 72-600 series in the region complimented with a fleet of DASH-8. We are committed to providing affordable excellent experience with value fares and competitive cargo rates, ensuring reliable and safe on time service to our valued customers and stakeholders.
COMMERCIAL PLANNING MANAGER
The Commercial division seeks potential candidates for the position of Commercial Planning Manager. This position is based in Port Moresby and reports to the Chief Commercial Officer.
The role’s primary responsibility is responsible to set strategic direction and daily delivery and execution of strategy relating to fleet planning, network schedule, revenue management, pricing and airline partnerships. The role will cover schedule/RPT, charters and cargo.
To maximise passenger and cargo revenue through the development and management of schedules, route inventory and pricing strategies across the network.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Introduce, build and nurture a long-term vision from a network and fleet planning aspect.
- Maintain network profitability forecasting tools; improve and build on current algorithms and systems used for optimising the network including financial evaluation and route profitability methodologies.
- Analyse market forces such as passenger demand and other macroeconomic conditions and competitive forces impacting the network including competitor analysis, seasonal developments in capacity and market fares.
- Make recommendations to the Executive Committee regarding overall long-term fleet purchases that impact the overall fleet strategy.
- Responsible for designing the strategy and leading the tactical process of each route, including diagnosis, development of action plans and proposal for new routes.
- Develop and implement fleet strategies to support corporate objectives and maximize profitability.
- Daily contact with their manager and colleagues within the revenue management team. Will also be in regular contact and work closely with other areas including commercial, operations and finance.
- Ensure market opportunities and/or corrective measures are addressed in a timely fashion, including new routes and changing market trends.
- Responsible for leading the process of monitoring the performance of the operation with the key Operations areas.
- Build relationships with airports and third parties (regions, tourism bodies, etc.)
- Work with the revenue management team to determine amendments to existing routes, frequencies and airports.
- Develop schedules which utilise aircraft efficiently and effectively.
- Coordinate the loading and managing of flight capacity in the scheduling and flight operation systems.
- Align and manage the communication and approval process between the scheduling and operational teams.
- Coordinate data analysis with Revenue Management to improve revenue generation of different schedule scenarios.
- Manage IT system development projects relating to scheduling, network and slot management.
Airline partnership responsibilities:
- Negotiate, implement and manage codeshare, interline and other airline partnership agreements that are key to achieving the airline’s partnership strategy.
- Oversee the implementation of new codeshare agreements to ensure operations commence as planned.
- Coordinate the development of strategies to mitigate any risks to the airline and manage any issues associated with the implementation or operation of partnerships/codeshares.
- Review the viability of partnerships and codeshare agreements as appropriate and take actions required to meet the airline’s partnership objectives and revenue and profit targets.
- Responsible for liaison with internal departments and external stakeholders to ensure the effective implementation and ongoing operation of key partnerships and codeshares.
- Provide timely and accurate reports on codeshares and partnerships to key internal stakeholders and participate in appropriate communication forums.
- Building and maintaining relationships with applicable CAAs.
- Monitor and negotiate bilateral agreements for relevant markets, securing route permits/license approvals in a timely manner.
Revenue Management and Pricing responsibilities:
- Develop and deliver new Revenue Management system capabilities.
- Develop and propose for the network, the overall, segment and leg inventory management, groups, charters and pricing plans, actions, methodology and tactics to optimise inventory settings and price competitiveness.
- Implement the approved revenue plans to maximise the network revenue performance and achieve its objectives.
- Manage the definition and implementation of relevant and competitive fare products, conditions and rules in line with the airline’s Pricing strategy for the network Present recommendations for optimised revenue generation for the network.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key internal stakeholders. Participate in trade meetings/updates.
- Ensure the airline’s competitive positioning for the network is continuously monitored and maintained through fare or condition movements in the respective market.
- Manage group process to ensure optimal use of group demand post approval of group space and ensure close coordination between inventory management and group management activities. Provide insight into market dynamics and the airline’s competitiveness and trading performance.
- Manage fare integrity and fare maintenance for the area (network-wide and fare products).
- Monitor metrics and parameters for revenue generation for the network.
- Ensure regular analysis of historical data and parameters in systems to ensure accuracy and alignment with current trading conditions.
- To maximise network passenger revenue through the understanding and use of revenue management principles, processes and techniques.
- Creation, implementation and effective delivery of competitive inventory and pricing strategies for routes/markets.
- Work very closely with Operational teams to maintain schedule integrity and provide a commercial steer on schedule changes.
Qualifications, Skills and Competencies:
- Must be a Degree qualified or equivalent.
- 5-10 years Experienced in Relevant scheduling, inventory and pricing experience within the airline/travel industry.
- A very high standard of accuracy and attention to detail are vital.
- Excellent analytical ability to evaluate and choose from a number of complex options.
- An organised approach and ability to prioritise tasks in a manner which maximises revenue.
- Good computer literacy with the ability to develop competency in other tools and systems used within scheduling, revenue management and the commercial team.
- Commercial awareness and acumen and Must be able to demonstrate good commercial/business sense and appreciation of the commercial implications of their decisions.
- Demonstrated competence in handling difficult situations and the ability to remain calm under pressure and in emergency situations with compassion and the ability to support team members.
- Good cooperation skills to ensure that you can effectively operate as a team player which can change daily, and the capability to work quickly and efficiently, often to tight time constraints in a confined space.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work with all levels of management.
To apply, please send your application to:
If you are not contacted 10 days after the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
Applications close: 5pm Friday 20 October 2023
“We are an equal opportunity employer”