The appointee will be responsible for the daily cleaning of the Science Laboratories, Oven Room and the Preparation Room. Washing, drying of all glassware and equipment used in the laboratory. Assist technicians with issuing of items to students when technicians are out of office or on field trips. Including the opening and closing of the Undergraduate and Post-graduate Laboratory at the end of day. Working closely with the Laboratory Technicians in operating some of the basic laboratory equipment. Have the skills and know how to do basic maintenance of field equipment.
The appointee will also work closely with the Curator in replenishing preservatives in the Marine Collection. Driving the students to collection sites and fetching supplies for the Laboratory including administrative runs when needed.
Any other duties assigned by the supervisor/Senior Technician/Head of School
The Person we Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- At least secondary education (Year 6/7) and some qualifications/experience working in a Marine related field. A minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a similar role or in a Marine related field.
- Basic knowledge of First Aid and Emergency response.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in English both written and oral.
- A good team player with ability to assist with technical jobs, in the laboratory and in the field. It is essential that the appointee is self-motivated, has strong attention to detail and ability to multitask within strict deadlines.
Enquiries and further information: The position is available for a term of three years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
- FJ $11,038.68 to FJ $13,932.55 per annum
The closing date for applications is: 23 April 2023