About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or any other circumstance, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
About Market Development Facility (MDF)
Market Development Facility is an Australian Government-funded multi-country initiative which promotes sustainable economic development, through higher incomes for women and men, in our partner countries.
We connect individuals, businesses, governments and NGOs with each other, and with markets at home and abroad. This enhances investment and coordination and allows partnerships to flourish, strengthening inclusive economic growth. MDF is funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). It is implemented by Palladium in partnership with Swiss contact.
MDF is expanding its presence in the Pacific. MDF Samoa is recruiting several Business Advisers. We are looking for candidates with a diverse range of skills. Some of the qualities we are seeking include:
- Creativity and an eye for innovation
- Robust analytical skills
- Business acumen
- Persuasive communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent English communication skills – verbal and written.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of our dynamic and dedicated team working to build a stronger, more resilient and equitable Samoa and the Pacific. The position is perfect for individuals that are looking to apply their investigative skills and gain hands-on experience in economic development in a thriving and supportive workplace.
This role works will work in partnership with the Samoa Small Business Hub (SBH) to provide support to growth-stage businesses in Samoa
The Business Adviser analyses economic opportunities and constraints to growth and develops innovative solutions with businesses and other organisations. The sectors in which you will work may change over time but are likely to include one or more of the following: agriculture, tourism, manufacturing and financial services.
- Meeting with a wide variety of public and private stakeholders, especially businesses, government officials, workers and farmers, to understand how the economy, sectors, markets and businesses in Samoa function. This will include travel and fieldwork throughout the country.
- With the support of colleagues and management, conducting socioeconomic analysis, including assessing the business environment, poverty, gender, industry competitiveness, as well as the roles of businesses, traders and farmers. This will include identifying constraints to, and opportunities to promote economic growth.
- Assisting with the creation of strategies that will allow MDF to address the constraints identified and achieve MDF’s pro-poor economic development objectives.
- Designing innovative activities in line with MDF’s strategies. This will include working with a wide mix of organisations, devising new business models, negotiating with prospective partners, and drafting concept notes and contracts.
- Developing strong working relationships with program partners and other external stakeholders, from government, the private sector and non-government organisations.
- Monitoring the progress of activities, making adjustments based on lessons, and identifying opportunities to scale up the best ideas.
- Working with Quality and Inclusion staff to create, monitor and update quality and inclusion documentation, including results chains, results measurement plans, field surveys, etc.
- Applying inclusion frameworks and strategies (gender equality, disability inclusion) to all programme activities.
For full Terms of Reference (TOR) for this role click here.
- An entrepreneurial attitude, and a strong interest in working with the private sector on innovative business models.
- Willingness to work hard and travel extensively within Samoa, meeting a diverse range of stakeholders, conducting research and monitoring activities.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with both colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Familiarity with issues affecting the Samoan economy, business environment and international business trends.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, such as economics, business, agriculture, tourism, or international development, or equivalent professional experience.
- Excellent English language skills (written and spoken).
- Work experience in economic development, business, or closely related fields.
- Ability to speak in the native language (Samoan).
- The ability to undertake short-term travel to Fiji and other MDF Pacific locations for capacity building (subject to travel and health restrictions).
By clicking on the “Apply Now “button below, please submit your CV and brief cover letter (no more than one page) outlining your suitability in line with the requirements of the position.
Positions are open to Samoan nationals and permanent residents with authority to live and work in Samoa. Rates of pay are based on local labor standards.
Applications will close on Midnight [AEST] Friday 10th September 2021
We prefer online applications at the following link:
ECONSULT PACIFIC provides this vacancy announcement to those specialists on our database who have provided us with an email address and who have voluntarily subscribed. Unless otherwise indicated, ECO-CONSULT PACIFIC is not and will not be involved in the selection process, nor in any of the negotiations for the position, and will not claim any charges from the specialists.
The vacancies are obtained from regional and international organizations, magazines, newspapers and colleagues. Although we will do our best to relate to you the details on the positions as they have been provided to us, it is possible that some information may be incorrect or outdated. ECO-CONSULT PACIFIC advises those interested in a vacancy to contact the advertising organization directly for specific details on the position. ECO-CONSULT PACIFIC will not accept any liability for incorrect information.